prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
servings: 4 - 6
1/4 cup olive oil
2 large shallots - finely chopped
4 large cloves garlic - thinly sliced
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
1/4 cup brandy or sherry
3/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 1/2 pints cherry tomatoes - halved
2 pounds jumbo shrimp - peeled, deveined, with tails left on
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon lemon juice
ciabatta bread - sliced and grilled
1. in a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. add the shallots, garlic, red pepper, and fennel seed. cook, stirring, until the vegetables soften, about 2 minutes.
2. add brandy and using a long kitchen match or barbecue lighter, ignite the alcohol. turn off the heat and let the flame subside. add the wine and simmer until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
3. add the stock and tomatoes. cook until the tomatoes are heated through, about 2 minutes. add the shrimp and season with salt and pepper. cover the pan and simmer, shaking occasionally, until the shrimp are opaque in the center, about 3 minutes.
4. stir in parsley and lemon juice. serve with bread.
- rachael ray magazine, july/august 2014