prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 10 minutes
5 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons soy sauce
4 cloves garlic - chopped
1 piece ginger - peeled and minced
1 1/2 pounds flank steak
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2/3 small cabbage - cored and thinly sliced
2 carrots - peeled and grated
1/3 cup basil leaves - torn
1. in a glass baking dish, whisk 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, garlic, and half of the ginger. add the steak; turn to coat. let marinate 15 minutes, turning halfway through.
2. in a large bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil and the remaining soy and ginger. toss with the sliced cabbage, carrots, and basil; season with salt and pepper.
3. in a large cast-iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium. remove the steak from the marinade and cook to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. transfer the steak to a cutting board, tent loosely with foil, and let rest 5 minutes.
4. transfer the salad to a platter. thinly slice the steak against the grain. fan out the sliced steak on to of the salad.
- rachael ray magazine, july/august 2014