prep time: 80 minutes
cook time: 25 minutes
servings: 3 6-inch pies
1/4 cup flour
2 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup warm water
1 yeast packet
1 tablespoon butter
12 ounces ground venison
6 cloves garlic - chopped
2 tablespoons fresh oregano - chopped
2 tablespoons fresh parsley - chopped
2 tablespoons green onion - chopped
2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoon butter
1. mix the flours and salt together in a large bowl. mix the yeast and the warm water in a cup and let hydrate for 15 minutes. meanwhile, mix the butter into the flour with your hands until it looks like coarse meal.
2. pour the hydrated yeast into the flour and mix well. knead for 5 minutes, cover in plastic rap, and let rest 1 hour.
3. meanwhile, combine venison, garlic, oregano, parsley, green onion, salt and pepper in a bowl.
4. preheat oven to 475 degrees. roll the dough into a rough log and slice off 1/3 of it. cut each piece into thirds. take out one of the pieces form the larger portion of dough and keep the rest covered with a damp cloth.
5. roll out the dough into a 6-inch circle about 1/8-inch thick. use a bowl or large glass to cut a perfect circle. put some of the filling into the center of the circle, leaving about 1 inch border on all sides. set that dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment. do the same with the other 2 larger pieces of dough. when you have all three pies set out, press 1 tablespoon of butter onto the center of the filling of each pie.
6. to make the tops of the pies, roll out each smaller piece of dough to about the same thickness, about 5-inches in diameter. lay the top on the venison filling. take up the bottom of the larger piece of dough and attach it to the top piece of dough by pinching and crimping it over. do this all around the pie to seal it. with a very sharp knife slice vents in the to top of the pie.
7. beat the egg with a little water and paint all the pies with it. bake in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until they are golden brown. let the pies rest on a rack for at least 10 minutes before eating.