prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
servings: 6 - 8
1 white onion - peeled and halved lengthwise
2 lemons - halved, seeds removed
1 yellow bell pepper - halved lengthwise, stem and seeds removed
1 red bell pepper - halved lengthwise, stem and seeds removed
2 medium zucchini - sliced lengthwise 1/2-inch thick
2 medium eggplant - sliced lengthwise 1/2-inch think
8 slices crusty bread
2 - 3 large garlic cloves - peeled
6 tablespoons olive oil + more as needed
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves + more for garnish
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 ounces goat cheese - softened
1. heat the grill. place vegetables and lemon on grill, making sure onion and lemons are cut side down, and cover. grill lemon halves until lightly caramelized, 3 - 5 minutes total. grilled onion until it is heavily charred, about - 15 minutes total. grill peppers, zucchini, and eggplant until charred and very soft, about 3 - 8 minutes per side total. transfer to a cutting board.
2. grill bread until lightly charred and toasted, about 1 minute per side. have one or two of the garlic cloves and rub cut sides on the grilled bread. mince remaining garlic clove and set aside.
3. chop vegetables into bit-size pieces and transfer to a large bowl; toss with the juice of 3 of the grilled lemon halves, the minced garlic, olive oil, basil, thyme leaves, 1/2 teaspoon salt and some black pepper to taste. adjust seasoning as needed. set aside.
4. arrange ratatouille, grilled bread, and goat cheese on a large platter. sprinkle thyme leaves, pepper, and salt over goat cheese.
- new york times, september 2013