prep time: 5 minutes
cook time: 18 minutes
servings: 24 cupcakes
lavender buttercream ingredients:
4 pounds butter, softened
8 ounces shortening
8 cups confectioners' sugar - sifted
4 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons lemon extract
3/4 teaspoons anise extract
4 tablespoons cherry liqueur
1 tablespoon vodka
20 drops lavender oil
3 - 4 drops purple food color gel
lavender cake ingredients:
2 1/2 cups cake flour
8 tablespoons vanilla instant pudding mix
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1/4 cup half-and-half
3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 ounces sour cream
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
25 drops lavender liquid herbal extract
1/4 teaspoon star anise extract
3 drops purple food color gel
lavender buttercream steps:
1. in a 5-quart mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and shortening together. on first speed add the sifted powdered sugar in 3 parts. let each part incorporate into the butter mixture before adding the next. once sugar is added beat mixture for 8 - 10 minutes.
2. add the vanilla, lemon, anise, cherry liqueur, vodka, and lavender and incorporate completely. add food gel to desired shade.
lavender cake steps:
1. preheat oven to 300 degrees. prepare a cupcake pan with 24 cupcake liners.
2. combine the flour, pudding mix, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
3, combine the eggs and add vanilla extract into a second bowl.
4. combine the milk and half-and-half into a third bowl.
5. in a 5-quart mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter until fluffy. add the sugar and mix until fluffy. add the eggs. add the sour cream and mayonnaise and incorporate completely.
6. add the flour mixture and milk mixture, alternating until all is combined. continue to mix until batter is smooth.
7. add lavender, anise, and food coloring gel. mix well.
8. fill cupcake liners using a 2-ounce scoop. bake until golden brown and fluffy, about 17 minutes. let cool completely before frosting.
- food network