prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
1 pound kohlrabi
7 - 8 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup minced onion
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1 - 2 garlic cloves - minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 - 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 - 3 tablespoon chopped parsley
1. peel the kohlrabi, making sure to remove the fibrous layer just under the skin, and cut into 1/2-inch dice.
2. place stock in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. season well. reduce heat to low.
3. heat the olive oil over medium heat in a wide, heavy nonstick skillet or saucepan. add the onion and a pinch of salt, and cook gently until it is just tender, about 3 minutes. add the diced kohlrabi and garlic and cook, stirring, until the kohlrabi is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
4. add the rice and stir until the grans separate and begin to crackle. add the wine and stir until it has evaporated and been absorbed by the rice. begin adding the simmering stock, a couple of ladlefuls at a time. the stock should just cover the rice, and should be bubbling. cook, stirring often, until it is just about absorbed. add another ladleful or two of stock and continue to cook in this fashion. when the rice is just tender all the way through, but still chewey, in 20 - 25 minutes, it is done. salt and pepper to taste.
5. add another ladleful of stock to the rice. stir in the parmesan and parsley and remove from heat.