prep time: 30 minutes
cook time: 3 hours
servings: 8 - 12
3 - 4 pounds game meats
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup flour
1/2 pound bacon
2 red peppers - minced
2 medium onions - minced
6 cloves garlic - minced
1 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 - 2 quarts stock
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 pound okra - sliced into rings
2 green onions per person - chopped
1 tablespoon parsley per person - chopped
1. in a dutch oven or large pot, cook the bacon slowly; remove and chop. sear the game meats in the bacon fat. remove meat. set meant and bacon aside.
2. add oil to the pot and turn to medium-high heat. whisk in the flour, stirring frequently, until it turns the color of coffee with cream. add peppers, onions, and garlic and stir to combine. cook, stirring often, 3 - 6 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
3. in a separate bowl, combine the tomato paste with the stock.
4. in a separate bowl, combine the pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper, thyme, oregano, and garlic powder.
5. add the stock mixture to the pot and turn the heat to high. stir to combine and add the meats and bacon. add the spice mixture and salt to taste. bring to a boil, drop the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 90 minutes - 3 hours; check status of meat every 30 minutes after the 90 minutes. when the meats are tender, add the okra. cook another 15 minutes.
6. add the green onions and parsley. cook for 3 - 5 minutes. serve with rice.