prep time: tbd
toffee almond ingredients:
3/4 cup skinless almonds - roughly chopped
2 tablespoons sugar
pinch of salt
ice cream ingredients:
1 large handful fresh basil
3 egg yolks
1/4 cup white wine
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
toffee almonds (garnish)
toffee almonds steps:
1. put the almonds in a dry frying pan and turn heat to medium. lightly toast the almonds by gently shaking the pan every 30 seconds or so. toast until nutty scent begins to rise and they are slightly golden.
2. sprinkle in sugar and salt. shake the pan around to spread out the sugar; about 45 seconds. pour the mixture over parchment paper and allow to cool and harden. break into pieces.
ice cream steps:
1. in a food processor, blend together the eggs, sugar, basil, white wine, and lime zest.
2. create a double boiler and turn heat on low and let water come to a simmer. pour egg mixture into top bowl and whisk until starts to thicken.
3. take bowl off the boiler and set aside. whisk cream in another bowl until begins to hold a shape. stir a dollop of cream into the egg mixture. gradually fold whipped cream into the egg mixture into a dollop at a time.
4. line a loaf pan with parchment paper and pour in the mixture. smooth over the top and place in the freezer for 2 1/2 - 3 hours. garnish with drizzle of fresh cream and honey, a few sprigs of basil, and candied almonds.