prep time; 2 hours
cook time: 90 minutes
servings: 4 - 6
roasted garlic ingredients:
3 - 4 head garlic - upper quarter removed
4 teaspoon olive oil
parmesan pizza dough ingredients:
1 cup warm water
1 1/4-ounce envelope dry yeast
1 teaspoon honey
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 3-4 cups flour
1/2 cup finely grated parmesan
1 cup whole milk
2 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 tablespoon flour
1/4 teaspoon + a pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 - 4 heads roasted garlic
2 - 3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
1 parmesan pizza dough
8 ounces fresh mozzarella - sliced
4 ounces grated fontina
2 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
roasted garlic steps:
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees. place garlic on a foil-lined baking sheet and rub 1 teaspoon of oil into the top of each head. sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper and place, out side down, on the baking sheet.
2. bake until the cloves are soft and golden, about 1 hour. remove from the oven and let sit until cool enough to handle. carefully remove each clove of garlic from the heat. squeeze each head of garlic to expel any cloves that you cannot remove individually. set aside.
parmesan pizza dough steps:
1. in a large bowl, combine the water, yeast, honey, and 1 tablespoon oil, stirring to combine. let sit until the mixture is foamy, about 5 minutes.
2. add 1 1/2 cups of the flour and the salt, mixing by hand until it is all incorporated and the mixture is smooth. continue adding the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, working the dough after each addition, until the dough is smooth but sill slightly sticky. turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth but still slightly tacky, 3 - 5 minutes.
3. oil a large mixing bowl with remaining olive oil. place the dough in the bowl, turning to coat with the oil. cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place, free from drafts until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
4. punch dough down and turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a 15-inch circle.
1. gently heat milk in a small saucepan, just until barely simmering. remove and keep covered. in a separate saucepan, melt butter. when foam subsides, add flour and stir until smooth. cook for 1 - 2 minutes, stirring. do not allow flour to color. gradually add the warm milk, whisking to combine. add the salt and cayenne and increase the heat to medium. cook the mixture, whisking continuously, until the sauce comes to a boil and is thickened. remove from head.
2. add 10 of the roasted garlic cloves. pour the hot mixture into a blender, cover (make sure air can get in otherwise the heat will cause the mixture to explode out), and process until smooth. transfer to a small bowl and cool slightly.
3. place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 500 degrees. sprinkle 2 tablespoons of cornmeal on a baker's peel or baking sheet.
4. place the rolled out pizza dough circle on the prepared baker's peel. spread the cooled sauce over pizza dough, leaving a 3/4-inch border. place sliced mozzarella on top of the sauce. sprinkle the remaining roasted garlic cloves (whole) over the cheese and top with grated fontina. transfer to the pizza stone.
5. bake the pizza for 8 - 10 minutes or until the crust is golden and cheese is melted and bubbly and golden brown in spots. remove from the oven and sprinkle chopped herbs over the top.
- food network