prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup fresh thyme leaves
8 garlic cloves - minced
1/4 cup rosemary - roughly chopped
3 tablespoons juniper berries - crushed
1/4 cup cracked black peppercorns
1 whole venison hind leg, bone-in
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 cups beef stock
1. in a small bowl, combine the olive oil, thyme, garlic, rosemary, juniper berries, salt and pepper until it resembles a course paste. rub onto the venison, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
2. remove the leg from the refrigerator several hours before cooking to bring to room temperature.
3. preheat oven to 350 degrees. drizzle venison with vegetable oil, patting lightly to coat evenly, and place the leg on the rack of a large roasting pan. roast, undisturbed, for 1 hour.
4. heat the beef stock to a low simmer. turn the meat. using a baster, baste the meat with about half of the hot stock. roast for another hour.
5. turn the roast a second time and repeat basing. after 15 minutes check the temperature of the meat and remove the roast when it reaches 120 for rare, 126 for medium rare.
6. remove the roast to a large cutting board and allow to rest, tented with a few sheets of aluminum foil for about 20 minutes. carve and serve.
- field & stream