prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
1 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons balsamic reduction
2 tablespoons olive oil + more for drizzling
2 large onions - thinly sliced
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/4 cup chianti or other dry red wine
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons thinly sliced sage leaves
2 large cloves garlic - grated
shaved pecorino, gorgonzola or fontina
4 5-inch squares focaccia - split horizontally
1. in a small bowl, mix the ketchup and balsamic reduction. set aside.
2. in a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-low heat. add the onions and season with salt and pepper. cook onions, stirring occasionally, until deep golden and very sweet, about 35 minutes. as the onions cook, add some water if needed to keep them moist.
3. preheat a cast-iron skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. in a medium bowl, combine the beef, wine, rosemary, sage and garlic. season with salt and pepper. form four patties. drizzle the patties with some olive oil and cook, turning once. during the last minute of cooking, top the patties with the cheese. cover patties or tent with foil until cheese melts.
4. divide the burgers among the focaccia bottoms. top each with onions, balsamic ketchup and top of focaccia.
- rachael ray magazine, july/august 2014