prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
servings: 4 - 6
1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms
2 tablespoons olive oil - divided
4 cloves garlic - peeled and smashed
1 pound cabbage - chopped
1/4 cup chinese cooking wine
5 cups homemade chicken broth
3 whole green onions - roots trimmed and cut in half
chopped fresh cilantro - garnish
1 pound ground turkey
2 tablespoon finely chopped green onions
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoon olive oil
1. preheat the oven to 425 degrees. put the shiitake mushrooms on a sheet pan and drizzle one tablespoon olive oil over the top. using your hands, toss the mushrooms to coat well and place them in the oven to bake. cook, moving them occasionally, until they are dehydrated and crispy, about 20 minutes. remove the mushrooms from the oven and set aside.
2. in a large stockpot, set the remaining 1 tablespoon olive olive over medium-high heat. when the oil is rippling, add the garlic and cabbage, turning to prevent burning. cook until all the cabbage is wilted and the garlic is beginning to stick to the bottom of the stockpot.
3. add the wine, scraping up any brown bits, and stir until the wine is nearly evaporated. pour in the chicken broth and bring soup to a boil. reduce heat to low and cover.
1. put the ground turkey, green onions cilantro, ginger, sesame oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl and use your hands to combine well. shape the mixture into small meatballs and set aside.
2. heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. when oil is hot, drop in the meatballs and brown, about 2 minutes per side. carefully place meatballs in the soup broth.
3. add green onions on top and cover, cooking until the meatballs are cooked through and the cabbage is very tender, about 3 minutes.
4. spoon into bowls and garnish with a roasted mushrooms and cilantro.
- coco + kelley, march 2014