prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup raw sugar
1 teaspoon salt
4 ounces cold unsalted butter - cubed
1/3 cup flour
2 tablespoon dried chamomile + extra for garnish
freshly grated zest and juice of 4 - 5 limes - combined
4 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. combine flour, sugar and salt in a bowl and toss to combine. rub in butter until dough comes together in clumps; add a trickle of cold water if mixture seems dry. press dough into a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. prick all over with a fork and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. heat oven to 350 degrees. bake chilled dough until golden and toasted, 15 - 20 minutes.
1. sift flour and chamomile together. repeat to eliminate any chamomile leaves or buds.
2. strain the lime zest form the juice; discard zest. in a bowl, whisk eggs together. slowly whisk in strained lime juice, sugar and salt. add dry flour mixture and mix well.
3. pour topping over crust and bake for 20 minutes, then check to see if filling has set. if loose, bake another 5 minutes and check again. filling will continue to thicken as it cools. once cooled, cut into squares or bars. serve dusted with chamomile flowers.
- new york times, march 2014