prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
chicken broth ingredients:
chicken carcass with wings attached
1 carrot - roughly chopped
1 medium white or yellow onion - roughly chopped
2 bay leaves
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup wild rice
2 shallots - chopped
2 garlic cloves - minced
greens from one bunch of beets
1 lemon - garnish
parmesan - garnish
chicken broth steps:
1. place the chicken in a large pot and add just enough water to cover the top. add the carrot, onion, bay leave and a pinch of salt and pepper and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. reduce heat to medium and simmer for about an hour. let cool and remove the carcass and set aside. strain the rest of the stock and set aside.
2. shred the remaining meat from the carcass and set aside.
1. in a pot over medium heat, drizzle just enough olive oil to coat the pan and add the shallots. let cook for about a minute until fragrant and translucent. add the garlic and cook for another minute until soft. add the rice and cook for a minute, mixing with the other ingredients.
2. add the two cups of broth, lower heat to medium, cover and cook for about 30 minutes until the rice has absorbed almost all the broth.
3. add the beet greens and stir. cover and cook for another five minutes until the rice is cooked through. remove rice from the heat and leave covered for about five minutes to rest.
4. uncover the rice and fluff with a fork. add the shredded chicken to the rice. season with salt, pepper, parmesan and lemon zest to taste.
- goop, march 2014