prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 45 minutes
1 sweet onion - finely diced
4 - 5 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 large head of cauliflower - chopped into small florets
3 cups vegetable broth
1 cup water
1/2 cup whole milk
1/4 cups capers - patted dry
1/4 cup chopped chives
1. heat a large pot over medium heat. add 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter, then add onions with a pinch of salt. stir to coat and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. add in all but 1/2 cup of chopped cauliflower, and vegetable stock, then cover and cook for 20 - 25 minutes until softened. a few times during cooking, use a spoon to press down and break apart or mash the cauliflower.
2. while cauliflower is cooking, combine the chives with 3 - 4 tablespoons olive oil in a blender or food processor and blend until totally smooth. if needed, strain the oil through a mesh strainer.
3. heat a small skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 - 2 teaspoons olive oil. add capers and shake the pan, tossing for 1 - 2 minutes until crispy and fried. place on a paper towel lined plate. set aside.
4. preheat oven to 435. toss 1/2 cup cauliflower in olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. place cauliflower on a baking sheet and roast for approximately 40 minutes.
5. once the cauliflower is soft, pour the mixture into a large bowl. add the water and puree until smooth. work in batches if needed.
6. heat over low heat, stirring in milk and remaining butter. season with salt and pepper to taste, then garnish with capers, roasted cauliflower, and chive oil.
- how sweet it is