prep time: tbd
cook tme: tbd
servings: 6 - 8
1 cup moong dal (split mung beans) soaked 2 hours in cold water, drained and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoon ghee
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 green chile - slit lengthwise
4 garlic cloves - mined
1 large shallot - diced
garam masala or red chile powder
plain basmati rice - freshly cooked
1. put dal, turmeric and salt in a large soup pot. add 7 cups water and bring to a gentle boil, stirring.
2. turn heat very low and cover pot with lid slightly ajar. check pot and stir frequently, as the dal has a tendency to boil over in the beginning. skim off and discard any foam that rises. cook for about 45 minutes, until quite soft. taste and adjust salt. for a smooth, velvety consistency, puree dal in a blender, then return to pot. if ou prefer some texture, just beat with a whisk for a minute or two.
3. heat ghee in a small skillet over medium-high heat. add cumin, chile and garlic and cook until cumin is fragrant and garlic is lightly colored, about 1 minute. add shallot and continue cooking until shallot is softened, about 1 minute more. pour contents of skillet into pot and stir into the dal.
4. transfer to a serving bowl or individual soup bowls. sprinkle with a pinch of garam masala or red chile powder and/or serve with basmati rice, if desired.
- new york times, march 2014