prep time: 5 minutes
cook time: 75 minutes
8 - 12 tomatoes - chopped in quarters
2 cloves garlic - minced
2 teaspoon olive oil
2 tablespoon onion
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon chopped basil
baguette - sliced into crostinis
1. preheat oven to 435. drizzle olive oil over a baking sheet. place the tomatoes on the baking sheet and drizzle tomatoes with olive oil. sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. roast for 20 - 40 minutes or until shriveled and soft.
2. remove from the oven and let cool. place the tomatoes, reserving the juices, into a blender and puree until you have about 3 cups.
3. drizzle about 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large sauce pot. heat over medium high heat until shimmering. add the garlic and onions, turn down to medium and stir frequently. allow to cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. add the tomato puree, juice, chicken stock, brown sugar, salt and pepper. stir and allow to come to a oil. boil for 10 minutes and turn down to simmer. add the cream and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes.
4. place mozzarella between slices of the baguette, butter the outside and cook in a skillet over medium heat until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden. remove to a cutting board and chop into 1/2 - 1-inch squares.
5. to serve top with basil and mini grilled cheese croutons.
- oh, sweet basil