prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
1/2 small head cauliflower
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 small shallots - peeled and thinly sliced
2 small red thai chiles or other hot red chiles - seeded and finely chopped
2 large garlic cloves - thinly sliced
2 pounds mussels - scrubbed
1/2 cup torn basil leaves
juice of 1 lime + more as needed
1. cut the cauliflower into small 1/2-inch florets; dice the stems
2. in a large pot over medium heat, warm the oil. add the cauliflower, shallots, chiles, garlic and large pinch kosher salt. cook, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
3. add the mussels to the pot. cover and cook over medium-high until most mussels have opened, 7 - 10 minutes. discard any unopened mussels.
4. stir in basil and lime juice. season with salt. serve immediately, with crusty bread.
- new york times, october 2013