prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
servings: 4 - 6
2 pounds boneless beef short ribs - cut in 1/2-inch strips
2 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoon chinese sweet wine
2 teaspoon grated ginger
3 garlic loves - minced
1 cinnamon stick
2 star anise
1/2 teaspoon sichuan peppercorns
2 small strips orange peel
4 dry red chiles
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons potato starch dissolved in 2 tablespoons cold water
1 pound diakon radish - peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1/4 cup slivered scallions
1. put meat in a medium saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to a boil over high heat. reduce heat and simmer 2 - 3 minutes, skimming off any foam. drain meat in colander, discarding liquid.
2. transfer meat to medium bowl and season lightly with salt. add soy sauce, wine, ginger, garlic, cinnamon, star anise, sichuan peppercorns, orange peel and chiles. mix to coat and marinate 15 minutes.
3. put 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. when oil is hot, add sugar and stir until beginning to brown, about 1minute. add marinated meat and stir-fry 2 minutes. add 2 cups water and bring to boil. cover, reduce hat and simmer until meat is tender, 40 minutes - an hour, adding water occasionally to keep meat barely covered.
4. to prevent meat from overcooking, remove and set aside, then bring remaining cooking liquid to a rapid simmer over high heat and reduce to intensify color and flavor. return meat to wok and coat with reduced sauce.
5. meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a separate pan over medium-high heat. add daikon, season with salt and pepper, and stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
5. put beef in a serving dish and arrange diakon on a platter. drizzle both with sesame oil and garnish with cilantro sprigs and scallions.
- new york times, october 2013