prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 1 hour 20 minutes
1 butternut squash or small pumpkin - peeled and diced into bite-size pieces
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 pound andouille - coarsely chopped
1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon paprika
1 onion - chopped
1 red bell pepper - chopped
8 ounces fresh okra - sliced
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves - finely chopped
4 cloves garlic - thinly sliced
2 cups chicken stock
1 bottle lager beer
1 32-ounce can stewed tomatoes
sliced scallions - garnish
1. preheat the oven to 400 degrees. place the squash on a baking sheet, spray with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper and nutmeg. roast until tender and brown at the edges, 20 - 25 minutes
2. heat a soup pot over medium-high heat. add a drizzle of oil and the sausage, cook until brown, then remove. add the remaining oil, some black pepper, flour and paprika, and stir. cook until brown and very fragrant, 20 minutes.
3. add the onions and pepper, season with salt and pepper and soften, 5 minutes.
4. add the okra, thyme garlic, bay leaf and chile peppers, stir a few minutes more. add the stock, beer and tomatoes and the hot sauce, to taste.
5. add the sausage back to the gumbo, simmer to thicken, 20 - 30 minutes. add the squash and stir to combine. serve over rice. garnish with scallions.
- food network