prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
1 pound small red bliss potatoes - peeled
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
3 colves garlic
juice and grated zest of 1/2 lemon
3 tablespoons olive oil
pinch crushed red chile flakes
grape seed or canola oil for frying
1 tablespoon white vinegar
2 - 4 large eggs
1. boil potatoes in salted water with 1 sprig of the rosemary and 2 cloves of garlic until tender. drain potatoes and discard rosemary and garlic. place potatoes on a cutting board and use the side of a cleaver or the bottom of a pot to lightly crush them, keeping them as intact as possible.
2. strip leaves from remaining rosemary sprig and chop. mince remaining garlic clove. place in a dish with lemon juice and zest and whisk in olive oil and chile flakes. season with salt. heat oven to 200 degree.s line a small baking sheet with a couple of layers of paper towels.
3. heat grape seed oil on medium-high to a depth of 1/2-inch in a skillet large enough to hold potatoes in a single layer. when oil is hot, add smashed potatoes and fry, turning once, until golden brown and crusty. season with salt, transfer to baking sheet and place in the oven.
4. bring an inch or so of water to a simmer in a shallow 2-quart saucepan. add vinegar. break an egg into a teacup and slip the egg out of the cup and into the water. repeat with additional eggs. simmer until just set, about 3 minutes. divide potatoes between to warm plates, give the vinaigrette another whisking and drizzle about half of it over the potatoes. use a slotted spoon to life eggs from the water and place onto the potatoes. drizzle eggs with the rest of the vinaigrette and serve.
- new york times, october 2013