prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
5 - 6 ounces stale baguette - cut into 3/4-inch slices
1 1/2 cups milk
2 large garlic cloves - 1 cut in half, 1 minced
1/2 pound broccoli crowns
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoon fresh thyme
4 ounces goat cheese - crumbled
4 large eggs
1 pound ripe, firm tomatoes - sliced
1. rub the bread slices, front and back, with the cut clove of garlic. cut into cubes. place in a bowl and toss with 1 cup of the milk and set aside.
2. in a large blow, beat together the eggs and goat cheese. beat in the milk. add salt and pepper to taste and add the bread, along with any remaining milk. stir well to combine. let sit for 15 - 30 minutes.
3. meanwhile, heat the oven to 350 degrees. rub the sides of a 2-quart baking dish or gratin with the cut side of garlic clove. oil or butter the dish. mince any remaining garlic from the halves used to rub the bread and the dish. break up the broccoli crowns into florets and steam for 4 minutes. remove from the heat, drain and cut the florets into 1/2-inch slices, or chop coarsely.
4. heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat in a large skillet and add the minced garlic. cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds, and stir in 1 teaspoon of the thyme, the broccoli, and salt and pepper to taste. stir together for a minute, until the broccoli is nicely seasoned, and remove from the heat. stir into the bread mixture.
5. scrape the bread mixture into the baking dish. if including tomatoes, scrape in half the bread mixture and layer half the tomatoes on top. spread the remaining bread mixture over the tomatoes and top with the remaining tomatoes. season the tomatoes with salt and pepper, sprinkle with the remaining thyme and drizzle on the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.. place in the oven and bake 50 minutes, until puffed, set and lightly browned.
- new york times - october 2013