prep time: tbd
cook time: 1 hour
servings: 4 - 6
1 1/2 pounds shiitake, cremini or portobello mushrooms
1/2 pound chanterelle, trumpet or oyster
1 large onion - diced
1 teaspoon chopped thyme
1 teaspon chopped rosemary
pinch red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
3 small ripe tomatoes - peeled, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon flour
porcini broth or chicken broth - heated
1 tablespopon butter
3 garlic cloves - minced
3 tablespoon chopped parsley
1. clean mushrooms, keeping clolors separated, and trim tough stems. slice mushrooms about 1/8-inch thick.
2. in a wide skillet, warm 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat. add onion, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until onion has softened and browned, about 10 minutes. remove from pan and set aside.
3. add 1 more tablespoon oil and turn heat to high. add brown mushrooms, season lightly and stir-fry until nicely colored, about 3 minutes. lower heat to medium. add thyme, sage, red pepper and tomato paste. add tomoatoes, stir welll, and cook for 1 minutes. season again with salt and pepper. sprinkle with 1 tablespoon flour, stir to incorporate and cook for 1 minute more. stir in reserved oniones.
4. add 1 cup mushroom broth and stir until thickened, about 1 minute. gradually add 1 more cup broth and cook for 2 minutes. sauce should have gravy-like consistency, thin with more broth if necessary. adjust seasoning.
5. just before serving, put buter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in wide skillet over medium high heat. when butter begins to brown, add chanterelles, season with salt and pepper and saute for about 2 minutes, until cooke through and beginning to brown. add garlic and parsley, stir to coat and cook 1 minute more. add chanterelles to brown mushroom mixture and transfer to a warm serving bowl.
- new york times, october 2013