prep time: 15 minutes
1/2 cup cider vinegar
4 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt - divided
2 yellow squash
1 garlic clove - peeled
1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 ounce mozzarella cheese - cut into 1/4-inch cubes
1. combine vinegar, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt until sugar dissolves. trim ends of zucchini and squash, cut into ribbons with a peeler. add to vinegar mixture. cover and chill 2 hours.
2. bring a small pan of water to a boil, add garlic. remove with a slotted spoon after 1 minute. rinse under cold water, set aside.
3. add basil to boiling water, immediately remove and rinse under cold water. reserve 1 tablespoon of cooking liquid.
4. transfer garlic and basil to a food processor and add lemon juice, olive oil, reserved water and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. process until smooth.
5. drain squash and divide among 4 plates. top with cubed mozzarella and drizzle with basil oil.