prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
servings: 8 fritters
1/2 teaspoon salt + more as needed
1/2 pound shell-on, large shrimp
1 3/4 cups flour
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
2 small garlic cloves - minced
2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon sriracha sauce + more to taste
1/8 teaspoon chile powder
squeeze of fresh lemon juice
olive oil (for frying)
1. fill a bowl with ice water. in a small saucepan over medium heat, bring 4 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a simmer. drop in shrimp and poach gently until opaque, 1 1/2 - 2 minutes. use a slotted spoon to transfer shrimp to ice water to stop the cooking, reserve 2 1/2 cups poaching liquid.
2. peel shrimp and finely chop tails, discard rest of shells. coarsely chop shrimp and season lightly with salt.
3. in a medium bowl, whisk together flour and 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons of the poaching liquid. whisk in the onion and half the garlic, along with the parsley, shrimp and chopped shrimp tails. add more poaching liquid as needed; consistency should be of very thing pancake batter.
4. in a small bowl, combine remaining garlic, mayonnaise, sriracha, chile powder and lemon juice. set aside.
5. in a medium, nonstick skillet over medium heat, warm 1/2 inch oil. ladle in 1/4 cup of the batter. using a spatula, quickly spread the batter out in the pan so that it is very thing, making small holes in the pancake to help it cook evenly. cook until underside is golden brown, about 2 minutes. gently flip and cook other side until golden, about 2 minutes more. transfer pancake to paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle with salt. repeat with remaining batter. serve with spicy mayonnaise.
- new york times, June 2013