prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
servings: 4 - 6
2 ounces fresh basil leaves (a large fistful)
1 ounce italian parsley leaves and tender stems (a small handful)
2 garlic cloves - roughly chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion - diced
1/2 cup diced carrot
pinch red pepper flakes
8 garlic cloves - minced
1 bay leaf
small bundle fresh thyme sprigs
1 cup chopped tomato
1 cup cooked cannelloni beans
24 little neck clams - well rinsed
7 cups hot fish stock or chicken broth
1 pound squid - cut crosswise in 1/2-inch rings + tentacles
1 cup small green peas
1 cup blanched and peeled fava beans
1. put basil, parsley and 2 chopped garlic cloves in a blender. season lightly with salt and pepper. add 1/2 cup olive oil and puree on high speed, scraping down sides as necessary. pour into a small serving bowl, cover tightly and set aside.
1. put 2 tablespoon olive oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. add onion, carrot, season generously with salt and pepper and stir to coat. cook for about 2 minutes until softened. add red pepper, saffron, 8 cloves minced garlic, bay leave and thyme and let sizzle, then add tomato and simmer a few minutes more.
2. stir in cannelloni beans. add clams, in one layer if possible, and 1 cup water. turn heat to high and put on lid. keep at a rapid simmer until all clams have opened, about 5 minutes. add fish stock and bring to a simmer. taste broth and adjust seasoning.
3. just before serving, add squid, peas and fava beans and simmer for 2 minutes. ladle into shallow soup bowls and stir 2 teaspoons basil puree into each.
- new york times, june 2013