prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
servings: 8 - 10
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup white wine
2 garlic cloves - smashed and peeled
1 bay leaf
1 thyme sprig
1 rosemary sprig
1 cup + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter - chilled
2 leeks - thinly sliced
1 shallot - thinly sliced
3 1/2 cups flour
1 cup heavy cream (more as needed)
2 small carrots - peeled and diced
1 medium potato - peeled and diced
1 cup frozen peas
1 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
3 tablespoons sliced blanched almonds
1. season chicken lightly with salt and pepper. let rest 15 minutes. in a medium pot over medium heat, combine the chicken, stock, wine, garlic bay leaf, thyme and rosemary. bring to a simmer and cook chicken gently until no longer pink, 10 - 15 minutes. transfer meat to a plate to cool completely. strain and reserve cooking liquid. once chicken is cook ,shred into bite-size pieces.
2. heat oven to 375 degrees. lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with butter. melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. add leeks and shallot and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. melt in 4 more tablespoons butter. stir in 1/2 cup flour and cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. slowly whisk in the strained stock and the cream. season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. bring mixture to a simmer. stir in carrot and potato; simmer over low heat, stirring frequently, 10 minutes. stir in check, peas and lemon zest. scrape mixture into prepared pan.
3. in a large bowl, whisk together 3 cups flour, the baking powder and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. cut the remaining 10 tablespoons butter into cubes; using a pastry cutter or two forks, mix into flour until mixture forms coarse crumbs. stir in buttermilk. dollop mixture on top of potpie filling. brush tops with cream and sprinkle with almonds.
4. transfer casserole to oven; bake until top is golden brown and filling is bubbling, 35 - 45 minutes. let cool 10 minutes before serving.
- new york times, march 2013