prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
servings: 8 - 10
1/2 pound smoky bacon - diced
1 large onion - peeled and diced
2 medium carrots - peeled and diced
4 garlic cloves - minced
2 large sprigs rosemary
1 pound dried pinto beans - soaked overnight
1 tablespoon salt + more to taste
2 cups dry red wine
red pepper flakes
1. in the bottom of a large pot over medium-high heat, brown bacon until golden, about 5 minutes. stir in onion, carrots, garlic and rosemary. cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 5 - 7 minutes.
2. drain beans and add to pot along with 1 tablespoon salt. pour in enough water to just cover the beans (about 7 - 8 cups). bring liquid to a boil; reduce heat and simmer gently until beans are just tender, 45 - 60 minutes.
3. meanwhile, in a small pot over medium heat, simmer wine until it is reduced to 2/3 cup, 20 - 30 minutes.
4. remove rosemary branches from bean pot and discard. pour wine into beans and bring to a simmer. cook for 10 - 20 minutes longer to meld flavors and thicken broth to taste. drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with parmesan. add salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to taste.
- new your times, February 2013