prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
2 large eggplants - chopped into 1-inch cubes
1 small yellow onion - chopped
2 cloves garlic - chopped
2 tablespoons capers
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried fennel
5 - 6 large ripe tomatoes - chopped
handful of flat-leaf parsley (garnish)
2 slices of rustic bread
1. in a large colander sprinkle salt on eggplant to coat and allow to drain for 1 - 2 hours. rinse and pat dry. season with salt, pepper, oregano and fennel.
2. coat a large saute pan with olive oil and place over medium - high heat. add eggplant and saute for about minutes, stirring intermittently for an even cook. when eggplant is golden brown, add the onions and saute for another minute, until translucent.
3. add garlic, capers and vinegar and cook for 1 - 2 minutes until the vinegar evaporates. add tomatoes and turn heat down to medium-low. simmer for 20 minutes. let cool completely.
4. drizzle rustic bread slices with olive oil and place in a grill pan over medium high heat. press down with another pan or a filled tin can for weight and grill until both sides are crispy and golden brown. take off the grill, move to serving platter and season with salt.
5. once the caponata has cooled, spread over grilled bread, garnish with parmesan to taste and parsley, slice in half and serve.
- goop, october 2012