prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
1/4 pound country ham or slab bacon - cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 tablespoon canola oil
1 pound baby brussels sprouts - outer leaves removed, stem trimmed, halved lengthwise
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons sorghum syrup, molasses or dark honey
1 tablespoon snipped chives
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
lemon half for seasoning
4 swordfish steaks
1. light a grill for cooking fish. meanwhile, set a large, heavy pan over medium heat. add ham and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. set ham aside.
2. add 2 tablespoons oil to pan with ham drippings. turn up heat to medium-high and add brussels sprouts. shake pan, arranging sprouts so cut sides face down. cook, undisturbed, until blackened, about 5 minutes.
3. add butter and sorghum syrup to pan with ssprouts. stir until butter melts and sauce comes together and coats sprouts, about 1 minute. take pan off heat and stir in reserved ham and herbs. season with slat, pepper and squeeze of lemon juice.
4. season both sides of sish with a good amount of salt and pepper. grill fish over medium heat to medium doneness, 3 - 4 minutes per side. serve fish with sprouts and ham.
- wall street journal, october 2012