prep time: tbd
1/2 pound sushi grade tuna
1 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/2 tablespoon sriracha
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
1 1/2 cups cooked sushi rice
2 tablespoons furikake japanese seasoning (or mix black and white sesame seeds)
scallion - sliced to garnish
1. slice tuna against the grain, then chop into small cubes. place in a bowl.
2. add the mayonnaise, sriracha, rice vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil. mix to combine and place in fridge until ready to use.
3. using your hands, form rice into small rectangles, about 2 inches long and 1 inch thick. rice should be packed as tightly as possible so that it doesn't fall apart when frying. roll formed rice pieces in sesame mix to coat.
4. coat the bottom of a non-stick frying pan with vegetable oil and place over high heat. when oil is hot enough to sizzle, fry each piece for about a minute on each side, or until golden brown. remove to a paper-towel lined plate.
5. when cool enough to handle, arrange rice pieces on a serving platter. place spicy tuna mixture onto top to cover. garnish with sliced scallion and serve.
- goop, october 2012