prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
2 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
1 tablsepoon herbes de provence (or a blend of dried marjoram, oregan, rosemary and thyme)
4 6-ouce duck breast fillets
3 small zucchini
1. coarsely chope the dried mushrooms. working in batches, process in a dedicated spice grinder until they turn to powder. you'll need 2 - 2 1/2 tablespoon of powder. combine in a small bowl with the pepper and herbes de provence.
2. lay out a sheet of plastic wrap. cut the duck breasts lengthwise into 1/4-inch wide strips, arranging them side by side on the plastic wrap. place a second piece of plastic wrap on top and pound slightly to flatten and lengthen the strips.
3. rinse and dry the zucchini. use a vegetable peeler to cut them into long strips (discarding the peel-only strips).
first way steps:
1. prepare a gas greill for medium heat, or grease a grill pan with nonsitck cooking oil spray and place of medium heat.
2. lay the zucchini strips on top of the duck strips, then season lightly with some of the mushrooms powder-her mixture. create 3 stacks, alternating layers (duck-zucchini) and seasoning as you work. roll the strips into tightly wound rounds, then secure the outside rim by tying kitchen twine around each one. if any of the seasoning mixture is left, sprinkle the tops of all three duck-zucchini rounds.
3. place the tied duck-zucchini rounds on the grill or grill pan. cook on the seasoned side first for 5 minutes, until fat has rendered and the meat and skin have browned and crisped. turn them over and cook on the second side for 4 - 5 minutes or until the meat has cooked through (medium-rare).
4. let them sit for 2 minutes before discarding the twine and serving.
second way steps:
1. spray a large nonstick saute pan or skillet with nonstick cooking oil spray, heat over medium-high heat.
2. sprinkle both sides of the duck and zucchini strips with the mushroom powder-herb mixture. add the duck to the pan or skillet and cook for 3 minutes undisturbed, then toss and stir until browned and a bit crisped on the edges, about another 4 minutes.
3. add the zucchini, cook, stirring oftet, for 2 - 3 minutes.
4. divide among plates and serve.