prep time: 2 1/2 hours
cook time: tbd
servings: 20 rolls
4 cups flour
2 tablespoons yeast
4 tablespoons sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup + 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion - peeled and diced
2 teaspoons poppy seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. place flour in bowl of an electric mixer with a dough paddle attached. make a well in the center and pour in 1 cup lukewarm water. stir in yeast and 2 tablespoons sugar and let it sit for 30 minutes.
2. add egg, 1/4 cup vegetable oil, remaining sugar and salt. mix well until dough is soft but not sticky, adding flour if necessary. turn into a greased bowl, and let rise again, covered, for 1 hour. knead lightly and let rise again for 30 minutes.
3. heat oven to 350 degrees. place diced onion in a small bowl, and stir in poppy seeds and remaining 2 teaspoons vegetable oil. set aside.
4. divide dough into 20 balls. on a floured board, roll each ball into a circle about 2 - 3-inches in diameter and about 1-inch thick. sprinkle a tablespoon of onion poppy seed mixture on each circle. roll circles again, to a thickness of about 1/8-inch. prick each circle with a fork and sprinkle lightly with salt. transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- new your times, december 2004