prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
servings: 4 - 6
basil puree ingredients:
1 cup basil leaves
1 cup italian parsley leaves
3 garlic cloves - smashed to a paste
1/4 cup olive oil
1 pound bucatini, spaghetti or linguine
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves - minced
1/2 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
1/2 teaspoon peperoncino
4 pounds small clams - rinsed
1/2 cup dry white wine
basil leaves (garnish)
lemon wedges (garnish)
basil puree steps:
1. grind gasil and parsley together in a food processor. add garlic paste and olive oil, pulse to combine. season to taste with salt and pepper.
1. bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. add pasta and cook according to package directions. drain.
2. meanwhile, heat olive oil and a heavy-bottomed wide pot with a lid over medium-high heat. add garlic, fennel and pepperoncino. allow to sizzle without browning, about 1 minutes. add clams, stirring to coat with a wooden spoon. raise heat to high, add wine and put on the lid. cook, covered, until all clams have opened, 5 - 7 minutes. turn off heat (discard an clams that fail to open).
3. add cooked pasta and basil puree to pot and toss gently to combine. transfer to a serving bowl. garnish with basil leaves and lemon wedges.
- new york times, september 2012