prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
servings: 4 - 6
1 pound fettuccine
6 slices smoky bacon - chopped
6 ears corn on the cob - shucked
3 shallots - finely chopped
1 small red bell pepper - seeded and chopped
1 cup cream
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 or 2 pinches of cayenne pepper
1 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano
1/2 cup torn sweet basil leaves
1. bring a large pot of water to boil over medium heat. salt the water, add the pasta and cook to al dente.
2. meanwhile, heat a large skillet with a drizzle of olive oil over medium to medium-high heat. add the bacon and cook a few minutes until rendered and crisp. put a small bowl inverted into a large bowl, steady the corn cobs on the smaller bowl and scrape the ears. add 3/4 of the scraped corn and any corn liquid to the pan with the bacon. add the shallots and red pepper and liberally season with salt and pepper to taste. cook until the vegetables are tender, 5 - 8 minutes.
3. add the remaining corn and cream to a food processor and puree until smooth.
4. pour the wine into the corn and vegetables, and simmer over low heat for a minute to reduce. stir in the thyme and corn-cream mixture and cook for 3 -4 minutes, stirring frequently to thicken. add the cayenne and season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. drain the pasta and add it to a large serving bowl. pour in the sauce, add a couple of handfulls of cheese, about 1/2 cup and toss. top with torn basil.
- food network