prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
4 4-ounce mackerel fillets
1 orange - zested
1 lemon- zested and juiced
1 head green garlic, thinly sliced
6 - 7 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups shucked peas
3 - 4 garlic cloves - thinly sliced
1 cup cilantro sprigs - washed and dried
1. season fillets with alt, orange zest, lemon zest, green garlic, and 2 tablespoons oil. let rest 15 - 20 minutes. fill a small pot and a kettle with water and bring both to a boil.
2. place eggs, taken straight from the refrigerator, in pot of boiling water. cook 8 minutes. transfer eggs to an ice bath. once cool enough to handle, peel and halve eggs. set aside.
3. in a medium saute pan, heat 2 - 3 tablespoon oil with sliced garlic over medium-low heat. once garlic begins to turn golden, add peas and a good splash of hot water from the kettle. about half the peas should be submerged in cooking liquid. cook over medium heat, while stirring, until peas are heated through and plump, 2 - 3 minutes. season with salt and lemon juice, to taste. transfer to a bowl and keep warm.
4. set a large pan with 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. cook marinated mackerel in hot pan, skin side down, until cooked through, about 2 minutes a side.
5. serve fillets over peas. garnish with cilantro sprigs and top each plate with half an egg. season with extra salt and lemon juice, to taste.
- wall street journal, may 2012