prep time: 1/2 hour
cook time: 4 - 5 hours
servings: 10 - 12
barbecue sauce ingredients:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
4 cups ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup tomato paste
3 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
1 tablespoons chili powder
1 bone-in pork butt (5 - 6 pounds)
1 - 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 - 1 teaspoon pepper
3 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
4 cups barbecue sauce
1/2 cup cider vinegar + more to taste
sliced soft rolls
barbecue sauce steps:
1 heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. add ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, honey, tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, mustard and chili powder. season with salt and pepper, stir well and let simmer over medium-low heat until flavors meld, about 15 minutes.
2. let cool and puree in a food processor.
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees. place pork butt in a large pot with a lid. season with salt and pepper to taste. pour broth around pork until it covers about 1/4 of the meat. add liquid smoke. cover pot and put in oven.
2. bake pork until internal temperature registers 190 - 200 degrees on an instant-read thermometer and meat is falling apart, 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 hours. use a fork to pull at pork and make sure it comes apart easily. remove pork butt from oven and let it sit in pot 15 - 20 minutes. remove from pot and discard bone and cooking liquid. cut fatty parts off meat, then use two forks or your fingers to shred meat into small pieces. place shredded pork in a large bowl.
3. warm barbecue sauce in a small pot over medium heat. mix shredded meat with barbecue sauce and vinegar until evenly coated. taste. add more vinegar if needed. season with salt and pepper.
4. pile pork onto rolls and serve.
- wall street journal, may 2012