prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
1 cup dried black chickpeas
2 tablespoon olive oil + more for croutons
1 pound meaty pork bones
1 medium yellow onion - peeled and diced
1 carrot - diced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
8 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 bay leaf
2 sprigs thyme
1/2 cup white wine
20 bread cubes - 3/4-inch
1 cup chard - chopped
basil - torn.
1. wash the chickpeas and soak them in water to cover for at least 6 hours or overnight. drain.
2. heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat and brown the bones well. add the onion, carrot and garlic. saute for about 5 minutes or until the onion becomes translucent.
3. add the tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme, chickpeas and wine, and enough water to cover by about an inch. cover and bring the soup to a boil over medium-high heat, then turn the heat down to low and cook, checking occasionally to make sure the mixture doesn't dry out. the chickpeas and meat will become tender about the same time; 3 hours or more.
4. in the meantime, preheat the oven to 325 degrees. toss the bread cubes with olive oil. bake baking sheet, toss occasionally, until golden. sprinkle with salt and set aside.
5. remove the bones, shred and return the meat to the pot. reheat, adding the greens and cooking until tender, about 10 minutes. remove the bay leaf. beat the eggs, add them and stir. add 2 handfuls of cheese.
6. ladle into bowls, top with pepper and torn basil.
- new york times,