prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
lemon glaze ingredients:
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
black tea frosting:
2 large egg whites
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/3 cup + 1/4 cup strongly brewed black tea - divided
1/8 teaspoon salt
candied lemon slices:
1 large lemon
1 cup sugar
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups milk or buttermilk
4 large egg whites
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 stick unsalted butter - at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon pure lemon extract
lemon glaze steps:
1. in a small bowl, combine the sugar and lemon juice. stir with fork. set aside.
black tea steps:
1. beat egg whites in a mixing bowl until foamy and thick.
2. in a saucepan, combine the sugar, cream of tartar, black tea and salt. bring to a boil. boil for 3 - 4 minutes, or until a candy thermometer reads 242 degrees and all sugar is dissolved.
3. begin beating the egg whites again and slowly pour in boiling sugar syrup in a slow stream. continue to beat on high for 7 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
4. add 1/4 black tea by the tablespoon, beating after each addition. continue beating until frosting reaches desired consistency, about 2 minutes. use immediately.
candied lemon slices steps:
1. prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. using a mandolin, cut lemon into 12 paper-thin slices. discard seeds and ends of rind.
2. bring a medium saucepan of water to a rolling boil. remove from heat and add lemon slices and stir until softened, about 1 minutes. drain and immediately plunge slices into ice-water bath. drain.
3. bring sugar and 1 cup water to a boil in a medium skillet, swirling to dissolve sugar. when liquid is clear and bubbling, reduce heat to medium-low. add lemon slices, arranging them in one layer with tongs. simmer until rids are translucent, about 1 hour.
4. transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment. let stand until ready to serve.
1. center a rack in the oven. preheat to 350 degrees. butter two 9 x 2-inch round cake pans and line the bottom of each pan with a round of buttered parchment or wax paper. put the pans on a baking sheet.
2. whisk together the milk and egg whites in a medium bowl. put the sugar and lemon zest in a large bowl and rub them together with your fingers until the sugar is moist and fragrant.
3. add the butter and and beat at medium speed for a full 3 minutes until the butter and sugar are very light. beat in the extract, then add 1/3 of the flour mixture, still beating on medium speed.
4. beat in half of the milk-egg mixture, then beat in half of the remaining dry ingredients until incorporated. add the rest of the milk and eggs, beating until the batter is homogeneous, then add the last of the dry ingredients.
5. divide the batter between the two pans and smooth the tops with a rubber spatula.
6. bake for 30 - 35 minutes, or until the cakes are well risen and springy to the touch.
7. transfer the cakes in the pans to a cooling rack and cool for about 5 minutes, then run a knife around the sides of the cakes, unmold them and peel off the paper liners. invert and cool to room temperature right side up.
8. while still warm, poke each layer all over with a fork and pour over lemon glaze. when cool, frost cake with black tea frosting and garnish with candied lemon slices.
- honey and jam