cook time: tbd
6 tablespoons unsalted butter - cut into 1/2" cubes
1/4 cup vegetable shortening or lard
4 cups flour + more
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 3/4 cups buttermilk
fried chicken ingredients:
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
3 1/2 teaspoonsr salt - divided
1 3/4 teaspoons pepper - divided
large pinch of cayenne pepper
10 small boneless, skin-on chicken thighs
vegetable oil (for frying)
1 cup flour
6 tablespoons peanut oil
1 large egg
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
10 slices cheddar (optional)
1. preheat oven to 400 degrees. place butter and shortening in freezer for 10 minutes. blend 4 cups flour and next 5 ingredients in a food processor. add butter and shortening. pulse mixture until it resembles coarse meal, 20–25 pulses. transfer mixture to a large bowl. gradually add buttermilk while tossing mixture with a fork (mixture will not be completely incorporated). knead in bowl with lightly floured hands just until dough forms, about 3 turns.
2. transfer dough to a lightly floured surface. Ppt out dough until 1" thick. lift 1 side and fold it over. gently repeat 5 more times. roll dough to 3/4"-thick round. using a 3" biscuit cutter, cut biscuits from dough. gather scraps and repeat patting out and cutting biscuits for a total of 10 biscuits.
3. place biscuits on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, spaced 1"–2" apart. bake until golden brown and a tester inserted horizontally comes out clean, 12–15 minutes. transfer biscuits to a wire rack; let cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
fried chicken steps:
1. whisk buttermilk, dill, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, and cayenne in a large bowl. add chicken; turn to coat. cover; chill at least 3 hours or overnight.
2. pour vegetable oil in a large pot to a depth of 2 incha. attach a deep-fry thermometer to side of pot. heat oil over medium heat to 350 degrees.
3. whisk 1 1/4 cups water with remaining 2 teaspoons salt, remaining 3/4 teaspoon pepper, flour, and next 6 ingredients in a large bowl. drain chicken well; pat dry with paper towels. working in batches, dip chicken into batter. fry chicken, turning occasionally, until skin is crispy and golden brown and chicken is just cooked through, 9–12 minutes per batch. drain chicken on paper towels.
4. split biscuits in half; place 1 bottom half on each plate. top each with a cheese slice, if desired, then a chicken thigh.
- bon appetit, september 2011