prep time: tbd
cook time: 55 minutes
1 cup cake flour
1 1/2 cups sugar - divided
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
12 large egg whites
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoon unsweetened dark cocoa
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons cream cheese - softened
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon unsweetened dark cocoa
strawberries - sliced (optional)
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees. combine flour and 3/4 cup sugar, stirring with whisk. set aside
2. place cream of tartar, salt and egg whites in a large mixing bowl and beat at high speed until foamy. add remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. beat in juice and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
3. sift flour mixture over egg white mixture, 1/4 cup at a time. fold in after each addition.
4. spoon half of the batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, spreading evenly. break air pockets by cutting through batter with a knife. sift 2 tablespoons cocoa over remaining batter and fold in. spoon cocoa batter evenly over top of vanilla batter; break air pockets.
5. bake for 55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. invert pan and cool completely. loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula. invert cake onto a plate.
1. place powdered sugar, cream cheese, milk, and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl and beat at medium speed until smooth. drizzle half of the glaze over the cooled cake.
2. add 3/4 teaspoon cocoa powder to remaining glaze; stir well to combine. drizzle cocoa glaze over cake. refrigerate 5 minutes or until glaze is set.
3. garnish with strawberries.
- my recipes.