prep time: tbd
cook time: 15 - 20 minutes
2 3-ounce packages of thinly sliced pancetta
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar - separated
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary - minced
2 1/2 cups whole milk - warmed
1/2 cup half and half - warmed
6 ounces gouda cheese - shredded
4 ounces fontina cheese - shredded
2 ounces smoked gouda cheese - shredded
10 ounces cavatappi pasta
1. heat oven to 400 degrees. place a large pot of water over high heat and cover. roll up the pancetta slices and slice into strips. in a large pan over medium heat, cook the pancetta strips until just starting to crisp, about 3 - 4 minutes. drizzle 1 tablespoon of the balsamic vinegar over the pancetta and stir. allow the cooked pancetta to drain on a paper towel and set aside.
2. in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. when the butter has melted, whisk in the 4 tablespoons of flour. continue to cook and whisk the flour for about 3 0seconds. add the rosemary and continue to cook for another 30 seconds. slowly pour in the warmed milk and half and half, continue to whisk continuously so that there are no lumps. allow the sauce to come to a simmer, stirring constantly.
3. while waiting for the sauce to simmer, liberally salt the pot of boiling water. add the pasta to the water and cook for about a minute less than package directions.
4. when the sauce has come to a simmer, stir in the 6 ounces of gouda, and the fontine cheese until melted and the sauce is smooth. remove from heat and stir in about 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. season with salt and pepper to taste. drain the cook pasta and stir into the cheese sauce until combined.
5. pour the macaroni mixture into a 13 x 9 baking dish, and sprinkle with half of the smoked gouda. top with the cooked pancetta and then the remaining smoked gouda.
6. bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until the topping is crisp and the cheese is bubbly. if the pancetta starts to get too dark, cover with a piece of aluminum foil. serve hot.
- navy wife cook