prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
2 cups milk
2 cups + 2 tablespoons flour
2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sugar
canola oil for frying
1 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup cream
1. beat milk and eggs together in a bowl until well blended.
2. in a separate bowl, mix flour, cornstarch, baking powder, a pinch of salt and sugar together. stir dry ingredients into wet blend. whisk until smooth and set aside for at least 15 minutes.
3. set a deep, medium pot over medium heat with 1 1/2 - 2 inches canola oil. once oil reaches 350 degrees, after about 10 minutes, ladle in 3 pancakes' worth of batter (1/4 cup batter per cake) into pan. fry and baste pancakes in oil until golden and puffy, about 2 minutes. carefully flip pancakes and fry reverse side until golden, about 2 more minutes. with a slotted spoon, transfer cakes to a paper-towel-lined plate.
4. place maple syrup in a small saucepan set over medium-high heat. once it starts to boil, add cream. simmer until warmed through, 1 - 2 minutes. serve over pancakes.
- wall street journal, march 2012