prep time: tbd
cook time: 20 - 25 minutes
4 cups dry macaroni
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons butter - separated
1/4 cup flour
2 1/2 cups whole milk
2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 pound gruyere cheese - freshly grated
1/2 pound white sharp cheddar cheese - freshly grated
1 pound bacon
1 medium onion - thinly sliced
4 pieces of bread
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees. when oven is heated, place bacon on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. set aside and crumble when cool.
2. cook macaroni according to package instructions. meanwhile, in a saute pan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. add sliced onions and cook for 10 minutes until golden, stirring occasionally. set aside.
3. lightly beat egg in a small sized dish. add butter to a large pot of and melt over medium-low heat. slowly whisk in flour and stir until no flour chunks remain (about 5 minutes). pour milk into pot and whisk in mustard. cook for 5 minute until sauce has thickened. reduce heat to low.
4. to temper the egg, slowly add 1/4 cup of the sauce to the egg while whisking continuously. once combined, pour egg mixture into the sauce mixture and stir.
5. add all but 1/2 cup of cheese to the sauce and stir until melted. season with salt and pepper to taste. combine sauce with pasta and caramelized onions.
6. toast bread and coarsely chop with a food processor. spread pasta in a buttered casserole dish. top with reserved 1/2 cup cheese, bacon and breadcrumbs. cook for 20 - 25 minutes.
- burnt carrots; recipe by the pioneer woman cooks