prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
1 ounce dried red dulse seaweed
1 ounce dried green wakame seaweed
2 tablespoons rice-wine vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon wasabi powder
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon roasted sesame oil
juice of 1 lime
1 small carrot - peeled and sliced paper-thin
4 red radishes - thinly sliced
2 ounces daikon radish - peeled and thinly sliced
1 small cucumber - peeled and thinly sliced
1 firm-ripe avocado - sliced
1 teaspoon toasted white sesame seeds
1 teaspoon toasted black sesame seeds
2 teaspoons toasted pumpkin seeds
4 green onions - slivered
1. put the dulse and wakame in a large bowl and cover with cold water. let soak 5 - 10 minutes, until softened. drain in a colander, pat dry and place in a serving bowl.
2. to make the dressing, whisk together the rice vinegar, sugar, ginger, wasabi powder, soy sauce and sesame oil in a small bowl.
3. spoon half the dressing over the seaweed, add the lime juice and toss gently. taste and add a small amount of salt if necessary. surround the salad with the carrot, radish, daikon, cucumber and avocado. season them lightly with salt and drizzle with the remaining dressing.
4. sprinkle the salad with the white and black sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds and green onions.
- new york times, april 2012