prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
1 1/2 - 2 pounds belgian endive - trimmed
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 leek - chopped
1 small potato - peeled and diced
4 cups chicken stock
2 - 3 teaspoons honey
1/2 cup cream
2 - 3 ounces crumbled gorgonzola
1. chop 2 of the endives into quarters, lengthwise, and set aside. coarsely chop the remaining endives.
2. put 2 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan on medium-low heat. when the butter is melted, add the leek and coarsely chopped endives. saute for 6 - 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft but not mushy; do not brown.
3. add the potato and stock. bring the liquid to a boil, then turn down the heat and cover. cook, undisturbed, for about 30 minutes.
4. put the remaining butter in a skillet on medium-low heat. when the butter is melted, add the quartered endives and saute, turning once or twice, until they begin to brown. reduce the heat to low and drizzle the honey over the endives. cook another 4 - 5 minutes, until browned, turning once.
5. use and immersion blender to puree the soup in the pan. stir in the cream, a few tablespoons at a time. season with salt, pepper and a few drops of lemon juice to taste. serve topped with pieces of caramelized endive and crumbled blue cheese.
- new york times, march 2012