prep time: 1 hour
cook time: 25 minutes
servings: about 4 dozen meatballs
1 cup plain bread crumbs
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoon dried basil
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
1 large eggplant - unpeeled and diced into 1/4-inch pieces
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 cloves garlic - minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 egg - beaten
1. in a bowl combine the bread crumbs, paremesan, lemon zest, parsley, oregano and basil. set aside.
2. heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. add the onion, eggplant and salt. stir to coat with oil. cook, stirring occastionally, utnil soft, 8 - 10 minutes.
3. remove from heat and add garlic and tomato paste. trnsfer half the mixture to a food processor and blend until smooth. stir together eggplant mixture with puree, bread crumb mixture and egg in a large bowl.
4. preheat oven to 350 degrees. generously coat hands with oil and form mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls. place on a baking sheet 1/2 inch apart. continue to coat hand with olil to form balls. bake for 25 - 30 minutes.
- ladies' home journal, march 2011