prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
2 cups boiling water
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter - softened
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 bottle merlot
1 stick cinnamon
10 whole cloves
6 egg yolks - at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 pound butter - softened and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
red food coloring
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees. whisk water and cocoa together until smooth, then place in the refrigerator until room temperature.
2. meanwhile, sift together the flour, baking soda baking powder and salt. set aside.
3. cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. beat in eggs one by one and add vanilla. add the flour and cocoa mixtures alternately in fourths. when fully combined pour the mixture into lined cupcake pans and bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
4. allow to cool to room temperature.
1. place the wine, cinnamon and cloves into a small saucepan and cook over medium-low heat for 20 - 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until reduced by 1/3 to 1/2. set aside and allow to cool.
2. place yolks in a mixing bowl and using a wire whip attachment, whip on high until light in color and foamy, about 5 minutes.
3. combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to 238 degrees. immediately pour the sugar mixture into the yolks gradually, mixing intermittently until fully incorporated. whip until cooled to room temperature.
4. switch to the paddle attachment and add butter a bit at a time, mixing each chunk in fully before adding the next. beat the mixture until light and fluffy. add vanilla, about 1/3 - 1/2 cup of the wine, food coloring to your desired color and a couple of pinches of cocoa powder, mixing well before adding the next ingredient.
5. frost once cupcakes are completely cool.
- very small anna blog