prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 6 minutes
3/4 cup flour - divided
2/3 cup beer
1 egg - lightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
4 tilapia or flounder fillets (about 5 ounces each)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons red chili paste
1 11-ounce can mandarin oranges - drained and chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1. heat enough olive oil to shallow fry the fish in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
2. in a shallow dish, whisk together 1/2 cup flour, the beer, egg and baking powder. place remaining 1/4 cup flour in a separate shallow dish.
3. season both sides of the fish fillets with slat and pepper. dredge fish in flour, turn to coat both sides and then shake off excess flour. dunk fish in beer mixture and turn to coat both sides.
4. add fish to hot oil and cook 2 - 3 minutes per side, until cooked through and opaque. remove fish from oil. place on a paper towel lined plate.
5. while the fish is frying, in a medium bowl, whisk together lemon juice and chili paste. add mandarin oranges and cilantro and toss to combine. serve sauce over fish.
- food network