prep time: tbd
cook time: tbd
servings: 24 cocktail empanadas
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/3 cup minced onion
12-ounces white mushrooms - minced
3 tablespoons dry white wine
empanada dough (see below)
6-ounces gouda - minced
1 large egg - lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon water
vegetable oil for frying
1. heat oil in a 12-inch skillet. add onion and saute on medium until soft. add mushrooms and saute until ingredients start to brown. add wine and cook, stirring, until it evaporates. remove from heat. season with salt and pepper.
2. roll dough as thing a possible. cute 3-inch circles. scraps can be re-rolled one time. place some cheese on on half of each circle and top with mushroom mixture, leaving a 1/2-inch border around filling. brush egg on empty side of circle, fold dough over to make a half-circle and tightly crimp edges.
3. heat vegetable oil 2-inches deep in a deep-fryer, saute pan or wok. when oil reaches 375 degrees, fry empanadas, six at a time, a few minutes on each side, until lightly browned. drain on absorbent paper. allow to cool briefly before serving.
empanada dough ingredients:
3 1/2-ounces lard
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 cups flour + more for work surface
1. melt lard in a small saucepan over low heat. immediately mix with salt and 2/3 cup very warm water. place flour in a food processor. turn machine on and pour half the liquid through fee tube. stop machine, turn in to pulse and add half the remaining liquid. keep pulsing and add rest of liquid.
2. run dough out onto a lightly floured surface, knead briefly until smooth, form into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate until cool, at least 30 minutes
- new york times, april 2009